Monday, December 15, 2008

You're a Liar... Maybe

Good morning, y'all. It's raining--no, pouring-- here in L.A. Came as quite a shock. Last night, I was sitting on the couch, playing Fable II as David wrapped gifts on the carpet. We heard this... wet... rain stuff outside. I looked out the window, and announced, "It's raining." David said, "Hunh." And then I picked up the XBox controller and unlocked an achievement - Chicken Kicker. Long story.

Anyway:

Read an interesting article. The BBC conducted a survey of 1,500 people. They discovered that 40 percent of the readers surveyed admitted that they lied about reading certain books. In other words, that pretty girl (or hot guy) simply wanted to impress you - she/he ain't read no Beowoulf. Forty-six percent men and 33 percent women admitted this. Seventy-four percent of teenagers admit lying about books, websites or song lyrics. Here's the link if you're interested: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7776046.stm.

What books have you lied about reading? Hamlet? The Color Purple? And seeing the movie doesn't count as READING. Why did you tell an untruth? To impress? To not seem stupid?

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I believe it. :)

    I've never completely lied about reading a book, although a few times I've said I read a book when actually I started it but couldn't finish it. Most of these lies were told to high school teachers who had assigned said book. [grin/duck] I found that paying close attention to class discussions let me get Bs and occasional As on tests based on books I'd only read the first four chapters of. Which says something about the kinds of tests given in English classes.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete